Indemnity Insurance and Nurse Revalidation

Indemnity Insurance and Nurse Revalidation explained

  • It is a mandatory requirement of the NMC Code to have an indemnity arrangement in place.
  • When applying to join the NMC register or renewing registration, nurses and midwives are required to self declare that they have in place, or are arranging the appropriate indemnity insurance that covers them to practise in the UK.
  • It is the professional responsibility of each nurse and midwife to ensure that they have cover which is appropriate to their role and scope of practice and its risks. The cover that they have in place should be relevant to the risks involved in their practice, so that it is reasonably sufficient in the event that a claim is successfully made against them.
  • While the arrangement does not need to be individually held by the nurse or midwife, it is their responsibility to ensure that appropriate cover is in force. It is vitally important to understand that by signing the self declaration nurses and midwives specifically declare that whenever they practise they will ensure that an appropriate indemnity arrangement is in place.
  • If it is discovered that a nurse or midwife is practising without an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place, they will be removed from the register. Removal from the register means that they will no longer be able to practise as a nurse or midwife.
  • You must have an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place from July 2014, regardless of when you sign your declaration. If you practise without cover after this time you will be breaking the law, even though you may only have to sign the declaration when you renew your registration.
  • You are not required to provide a copy of your documents for your indemnity arrangement when you self declare. However, maintaining good records of your indemnity arrangement and the disclosure of your scope of practice, which forms the basis of your arrangement, is important and is reflected in the Code.


Indemnity Insurance if you work within the NHS

  • If you work for the NHS, you will already have an appropriate indemnity arrangement. The NHS insures its employees for work carried out on their behalf, which means you will be covered if a claim is made against you in that employment and is successful.


Private Healthcare

  • If you are employed in private healthcare (for example, a nursing home or general practice), it is likely that your employer will have an appropriate indemnity arrangement for you.
  • Outside the NHS, many employers are likely to have professional indemnity arrangements which will provide appropriate cover for all the relevant risks related to your job.
  • Arrangements may vary between employers so you should always check with them.


Self Employed

  • If you are self-employed, work as a consultant or through an agency, you are likely to need to have your own indemnity arrangement in place. Professional bodies may offer professional indemnity insurance, or you can arrange your own cover directly through a commercial provider. It is important that you understand the terms of your insurance policy.
  • If you undertake a combination of employed and self-employed work, or work for more than one employer, you must have an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place for each area of your practice. An employer’s arrangement will only provide cover for activities performed by an employee as part of their duties during that employment.


Newly registered

  • If you are entering the register for the first time as a newly qualified nurse or midwife or if you are from a European Economic Area (EEA) or a non-EEA country and not registered with the NMC perhaps not yet secured employment, you will still be able to register as normal because you will have signed the declaration stating that you will have in place an indemnity arrangement when you practise in the UK.


Indemnity Insurance